Have you ever heard of night golfing? Many golfers enjoy night golf because it allows them to play while the sun is down and the temperatures are much cooler. Not to mention, the entire course is lit up.
One of the items you’ll need for night golfing is glow-in-the-dark golf balls. Although you can purchase them online, many people don’t realize that it’s very easy to convert your regular golf balls into glow-in-the-dark ones. In this article, we’ll cover how to make glow-in-the-dark golf balls.
Last update on 2021-07-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table Of Contents
- What is a Glow in the Dark Golf Ball?
- Type of Glow in the Dark Golf Balls
- How to Make Glow in the Dark Golf Balls
- Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
What is a Glow in the Dark Golf Ball?
Glow in the dark golf balls are essentially ones that light up when the surroundings get dark. Whether you’re playing on a golf course or your backyard, it can work for any situation. Once these UV balls are lit, they typically light up for about 15 minutes. Then you’ll need to utilize a UV tool to light them up again.
Type of Glow in the Dark Golf Balls
There are three types of glow in the dark golf balls you’ll find online including:
- UV-powered golf balls are charged by exposing them to a UV light, typically a UV flashlight. These golf balls have the biggest glow and last the longest.
- LED golf balls use a LED battery to power them.
- Glow-stick golf balls use small glow stick inserts that fit inside the golf ball, which causes illumination.
How to Make Glow in the Dark Golf Balls
Light Up LED Golf Balls
An LED golf ball utilizes an internal lithium battery as a power source for the LED light. Depending on the type of LED golf balls you use, some have a power switch to turn on and off, while others light up when you hit, knock or strike the ball. Personally, we believe the power switch is better since you can leave the LED light on. However, the disadvantage of using LED golf balls is that you’re always at the mercy of replacing new batteries.
Power Up UV Powered Golf Balls
UV-Powered golf balls are the most cost-effective and long-lasting option compared to the other types.
Here’s how to light them up to use in the dark:
- Place them in the sun to pre-charge them.
- Use a tool with UV-powered light and shine the light onto the golf ball for three minutes prior to the game.
- As you’re playing, you can charge up the second ball once you’ve already hit your first ball. This ensures your ball will be at its brightest when hit.
Using Glow-stick to Light Up Golf Balls
Glow-stick golf balls are typically used for less formal types of golfing like miniature golf parks or even driving ranges. Keep in mind you’ll have to purchase special glow-stick golf balls since these ones have a small hole where you’ll need to insert the glow-stick.
To light up these golf balls, you’ll need to:
- Crack the glow-stick and shake it to ensure it’s fully illuminated. It may take several minutes to ensure the light is fully illuminated.
- Next, insert the glow stick into the hole of the golf ball.
- Make sure that the glow stick is positioned at the center of the golf ball. If the glow stick is not positioned properly, it can burst or stop working after a few hits.
- If you want to replace the glow stick with a new one, you can simply use a pencil or golf tee to press the glow stick out.
Factors to Consider
Below are a few factors you’ll want to consider before purchasing glow-in-the-dark golf balls.
The golf ball usually comes in white before it lights up. Once it’s charged, the color will vary based on the ball. Some packs of gold balls come in only one color, while others come in a variety of colors. This includes: pink, green, blue, red, orange, and white.
Weight and Size of the Golf Ball
The size and weight of a glow-in-the-dark golf ball are typically the same as the PGA-approved balls. However, depending on the style, the material may feel different. LED balls use a harder plastic that may affect the results, while UV-powered ones use a soft urethane cover.
Consider how long it will take to recharge the lighting. A UV-powered golf ball can be recharged in minutes, while LED balls using a lithium battery will take much longer to charge.
Although UV balls are generally much more cost-effective and long-lasting, LED golf balls tend to shine brighter. This means you’ll be able to spot them in their air or identify where they land in the golf course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Glowing golf balls usually last between eight to ten minutes. That means you should have plenty of backup balls or be able to recharge them during the game quickly.
Keep in mind that each golf ball has a different effect once it stops glowing. The UV-powered balls will slowly dim before the light fully dies. However, the glow stick and LED golf balls will completely stop after a set time. Then you'll need to replace the batteries or the glow sticks to continue having the glow effect.
There are two ways that you can charge glow-in-the-dark golf balls. If you have UV-powered balls, you can simply shine a UV flashlight onto the ball for 1-3 minutes.
The second way to charge these golf balls is to use rechargeable batteries. Some lithium batteries can easily be recharged with a battery charger. This way, you can continuously have enough light to last an entire night of golf.
If you're a dedicated golfer who wants more practice time at night, you may want to find other golfing equipment that assists in night golfing.
Here are a few golfing pieces of equipment you'll need:
- Glow-sticks used for fairways, flagsticks, and greens: if you're on the golf course, you'll want glow-sticks that are placed around the greens and where the fairways and roughs meet.
- LED GPS watch: when it's dark, it is difficult to see how far your ball is away from the hole. A GPS watch that lights up and tells you the distance between you and the hole or to the green can be quite helpful.
- Golf headlamps: having a headlamp can add light to your surroundings and allow others to see you.
Golf shouldn’t just be a daytime sport. Whether you’re looking to get more practice shots in or want to play with some friends, glow-in-the-dark golf balls are absolutely necessary. We recommend the UV-powered golf balls because they are easily rechargeable and can light up without hitting the ball. Not to mention you won’t need any batteries. We hope you’ve found our guide on glow-in-the-dark golf balls helpful!